Greetings! Lately I have been really into making no-sugar-added desserts. Mostly because it's a fun challenge to make delicious desserts with this restraint. Today, I am here to share with you this "protein" bar recipe I have made 4-5 times now within a span on three weeks...
This is a chocolate version I made.
Servings really depend on how big you cut it. I typically cut into 16 pieces.
- 6 medjool dates
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup quick oats
- 1 tbs matcha powder or 1tbs cocoa powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1/3 cup natural nut butter (needs to be liquidy)
- 2 tbs refined coconut oil, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- A few squares of unsweetened chocolate... maybe 60-80g?
Optional ingredient ideas to play with if you want it to be extra special
- 1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 scoop protein powder to up the protein
- Crushed nuts as a topping
- Chopped dried cranberries
- 2 tbs maple syrup if you like your desserts to be sweeter
- Submerge the dates in a bowl of hot water to soften.
- In bowl #1, mix together dry ingredients (almond flour, oats, matcha/cocoa powder, salt)
- Remove the pits from the softened dates. You have a few options:
- Use your hands to squish and break apart the dates
- Chop up the dates with a knife
- Use a food processor
This is a matcha cup version. I swirled some matcha chocolate on top.
I won't claim these are comparable to a yummy chocolate chip cookie, but it hits the spot as a healthy dessert! Since we are using almond flour, it is higher in fat & protein content which makes it a bit more satiating. Plus, it's perfect for the summer since it's a frozen treat!